Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we have forgiven our debtors. And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.
Dear friends, I’d like to share my heart from a different perspective today. I want to talk about hospitality in the kingdom of light – God’s kingdom – in the midst of the kingdom of darkness from which we have been rescued. And yet in which we still live with a mandate to invite others into the kingdom of light where we will live forever. What is our practical role here? I’d like for us to think together, deeply, about what it means to be in God’s kingdom in Satan’s territory and to what end. God does give us some pretty clear ideas about our role here and now.
- Be salt.
- You are the light of [Christ to] the world.
- Be on guard and stay constantly alert [and pray]; for you do not know when the appointed time will come.
- Do good to all men.
- Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.
- Be who we are, a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a consecrated nation, a people for God’s own possession, so that we may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called us out of darkness into His marvelous light.
Friends, we live in a very dark world that is getting darker. If you don’t believe me, look at the legislation recently passed in New York. Look at legislation being discussed in Virginia. We live in a kingdom that does not value the life that God has created. We live in a world where God’s order for male and female is turned upside down and inside out, and where some children are being steeped in this horribly unbiblical worldview from the earliest days of their lives. What can we do?
- Pray fervently for the people in this world.
- Be awake, seeing what is going on, and bringing it to God for His will to do done.
- Do the work of a priest – worship our God with all of our being, bless people in every way we have opportunity, proclaim God’s marvelous works in word and deed.
- Be involved in life as God has gifted you. Be a good neighbor, a good builder, be a good teacher, a good car mechanic, a good doctor, a good lawyer, a good chef, a good waitress, a good professor, a good librarian, a good businessperson. Whatever God has made you to do, do it to His glory so that His good works can be proclaimed.
Dear friends, let us all be God’s priests. Let us love Him, fervently, with all of our hearts. Let us look to Him to work through us to be salt and light so that we truly are different from those in the territory that we presently occupy – so that many can be transferred from the kingdom of darkness to the kingdom of light to live forever with God.