On Wednesday evening, September 13, we gathered together for a time of breaking bread, getting to know our parish neighbors more, kids enjoying playing and encouraging each other, and hearing stories and updates of God’s work through our church.
Here’s a recap of what was covered during that time for those who weren’t able to join in:
Pastor Jay Thomas opened with prayer and a reminder of the purpose of gathering together for family time, engaging with one another and the work of the church body as a whole.
Stories of God Moving In Our Midst
Pastor Roddy Dinsmore shared a few recent stories of how God has been using members of our body to equip disciples and care for one another.
- Two young men, one curious to learn more about Jesus, partnering to search the Scriptures together
- A life group and other parish members rallying around a member in need of support
- A member and new supported missionary partner, Bekah Pounds, serving on the UNC campus with Cru
Family Welcomes & Goodbyes
Pastor Ryan McKee led through a time of welcomes and goodbyes for new and departing members within our CHBC family.
- New members introduced:
- Carla Jo Adams, Barry Beggs, Floyd & Patricia Carter, Jarred & Heather Chappell, Sophie Hajek, Grant & Heidi Heyman, Tammy Horak, Bridget Johnson, Keziah Lloyd, Jason McGhan, Justin & Allison Mhoon, Nikki Pritchard, Bryan & Sally Neve, Jason & Grace Whitham, and Spiros Tsalikis
- Departing members recognized:
- Caroline & Josh Irving, Dwight & Susan Thomas, Samson & Ryanne Wu, and Peyton Gully
We had a time of sharing on three areas of ongoing work in our church.
- Working Groups update from Wally Turnbull (Elder), including the Reconciliation Working Group concluding their formal outreach work from the past year, the Bylaws Working Group continuing to work with an aim to bring recommended updates to the body in advance of next year’s June Membership Gathering
- A Preview of the Ends from our Elder Board by Jay Baas (Elder Chair), based out of our mission statement (“To equip our church as a community to reach the Triangle and beyond with the message of Jesus.”)
- Equip – The Chapel Hill Bible Church provides pathways for all members to become mature disciples of Christ.
- Community – Members know and are known by one another through intentional service and relational investment.
- Reach – Every member is actively engaged in praying for and sharing the Gospel with non-Christians in word and deed in the Triangle and beyond.
Parish Next Steps
Led by Aaron Kirtley (Elder) and Erin Bethany (Community Minister)
- As a reminder, parishes are geographic groupings of member households for the purposes of deeper care, community, and outreach, intended to connect neighbors on a broader scale than a Life Group and a smaller scale than our full church membership to equip and know one another, and reach your communities together. Each household is a part of a group of 30-50 other households living in their region.
- Next Steps:
- All members are encouraged to download the Church Center app on their smartphone or tablet, where you can see and interact with your parish group members, as well as other ministries you are involved with, access sermons and other media, register for events, and more. You can also access this from any computer by going to biblechurch.app.
- Keep a lookout for your parish’s next fall gathering which will be shared in the coming couple of weeks via those Church Center parish groups!
Kids Ministry & Minister Search Update
Led by Pastor Roddy Dinsmore (Associate Pastor)
Pastor Roddy shared that Pastor Matt Smith will be narrowing his focus and transitioning roles to exclusively serve as Kids Minister while we continue the search for the person the Lord will bring to lead this vital ministry to our children and families. Please pray that the Lord opens doors in His perfect timing for the right connections, conversations, and discernment to bring or raise up this person among us. More details can be found here.
Attendees spent time in prayer around our tables, focusing primarily on the Kids Ministry and Minister search and the Ends shared (Equip, Community, Reach).
Next membership Gathering / Wednesday, November 1st
Mark your calendar for the next Membership Gathering, scheduled for Wednesday, November 1. More details will come as it approaches.
For more information or any questions, feel free to reach out Erin Bethany (Community Minister) or email@example.com or any of the leaders listed above if you have questions about their specific updates.